Podcast #18: Disney, Leadership and You
The podcast reflects on a couple of different leadership themes. Take a look at the following:
Who is a Leader?
The model below suggests that leadership does not just consist of people who are in a management role (positional), but those who take the lead in the hour of need (Spontaneous), and those who exercise day in, day out leadership in the little things they do at work (Personal).
It is this model that suggested to us that we needed to showcase not just managers and executives, but people throughout the Disney organization who showed leadership at different times and different places.
A Model For Leadership
The model below illustrates how I came to the conclusion of how the book should be structured. Leaders are best when they are in Quadrant A–when they are attentive to both attaining results by effectively building relationships to others.
From this, we came to the following outline for the book. Note that we have a sort of Disney title, followed by a business-style title.
Table of Contents:
I. Defining Relationships
- Leadership: The Magic Formula–Leaders Create the Magic
II. Leaders Attain Results
2. There’s a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow–Leaders Stay the Vision
3. If You Can Dream It, You Can Do It–Leaders Exhibit a “Can Do” Attitude
4. Heigh-Ho, Heigh-Ho, It’s Off to Work We Go–Leaders Work Hard
5. I’m Late! I’m Late! For a Very Important Date!–Leaders Optimize Time
6. It’s Watcha Do With Whatcha Got–Leaders Are Resourceful
7. Put Your Behind in Your Past–Leaders Learn From Their Mistakes
8. Practically Perfect in Every Way–Leaders Seek Excellence
III. Leaders Build Relationships
9. It Takes People to Make the Dream a Reality–Leaders Build Morale
10. I’m Am Like a Little Bee–Leaders Build Trust and Empower Others
11. Everyone Picks up Trash–Leaders Flatten the Organization
12. Get On The Bus–Leaders Get Everybody on Board
13. Let’s Get Together–Leaders Keep the Sandbox Friendly
14. Listen With Your Heart–Leaders Communicate
15. Windows on Main Street–Leaders Recognize Others
16. Just a Spoonful of Sugar–Leaders Make Work Fun
IV: Putting It Together
17. Leadership On Parade–A Case Study in Leadership
18. We Keep Moving Forward–Leaders Keep Moving Forward
I hope that you will check out this new book. Know that it’s not only available in print, but on on Kindle as well. We also offer a new online course, Excellence and You, which showcases these ideas not only with Disney, but with other world-class organizations. Please check them out!