8/15/19 Disney News on Parade
Thanks for joining us! Here’s our show notes page from our most recent Facebook Live.
What’s the D23 Secret Announcement?
According to the update schedule for D23 Expo 2019, on Saturday, August 24, from 1:30-2:30 p.m., Disney will be discussing a “Secret Walt Disney Company Project.” The schedule also says that on Thursday, August 22, two days before the presentation will occur at the Expo, they will announce what the secret project is.
I would like to see it be a new park in India, with a new India country being added to World Showcase at Epcot.
Park Attendance Down at Disney Parks
Bob Iger reported last week that attendance was down at Disney parks world wide by 3% (though attendance was up for Disneyland Paris and revenues were up altogether). Here are some reasons I’ve stated before as why:
Why? Disneyland Resort
- Too Much Hype About Potential Crowds
- Ticket & Annual Passes Went Up
- Annual Passholders Blocked Out
- Rise of the Resistance Not Opened Up
- New: Area Hotel Costs Went Up
Why? Walt Disney World Resort
- Too Much Stripped Away From Disney’s Hollywood Studios
- Epcot Overdue for Making Changes
- People Waiting for New Attractions
- Prices Increased on Tickets & Annual Passes
- New Block Out Strategies on
What has been removed:
- The Great Movie Ride
- Backstage Tour
- Honey I Shrunk the Kids Movie Set Adventure
- Lights, Motors, Action! Extreme Stunt Show
- Osborne Family Spectacle of Dancing Lights
Replacing what has been removed is the following:
- Slinky Dog Dash
- Alien Swirling Saucers
- Lightning McQueen’s Racing Academy
- Millennium Falcon: Smuggler’s Run
- Rise of the Resistance
- Mickey & Minnie’s Runaway Railway Train
The Language of Batuu, Pandora, Disney & More
This week we had a podcast that looked at language at Batuu, Pandora & even at the United Kingdom at Epcot on Disney at Play. Then on Disney at Work we had conversation about language within the Disney organization. Definitely check out the podcast and the notes page for both.
Since then a document came to my attention when I saw an outline on nomenclature sent out by Marty Sklar just prior to the opening of Magic Kingdom. You can see the document for yourself at Disney Park Historical Docs. There are some interesting tidbits I didn’t know:
- When referring to Bay Lake and Seven Seas Lagoon together, you should call it Waters of the World
- The alley in Liberty Square is called Peddler’s Passage
- The Diamond Horseshoe was going to be called The Silver Lantern
- And it’s always Cinderella Castle, not Cinderella’s
- They note a railroad station for Tomorrowland. Guess Toontown/Storybook Circus got it instead.
Also, the rooms at the Nantucket Harbor House have names:
- Cape Hatteras
- Chesapeake Bay
- Montauk Point
- Long Island
- Cape Cod
- New Bedford
Join Us For More!
Please visit us at:
DisneyatWork.com for Best-in-Business Ideas from “The Happiest Place on Earth.”
DisneyatPlay.com for Disney World-Wide Insights, Inspiration & More
Subscribe to our YouTube Channel for Weekly New Videos
Join us @DisneyatWork on Twitter for the latest and greatest.
Follow Us on Our Disney at Work Facebook!