Disney’s Boardwalk Resort & Villas: A Review of Function Following Form
There is an architectural expression that “form follows function”. But in our recent stay at Disney’s Boardwalk & Villas, we found that the unique form that creates Boardwalk’s turn-of-century charm can sometimes stand in the way or at least make one forget that function does really matter. We’ll look at different elements of a stay, from arrival and check in, to rooms themselves. We’ll explore restaurants, shopping and entertainment along the boardwalk. And we’ll look at transportation issues, meetings & conventions, and its position inside the entire Walt Disney World complex.
- Valet or Hike
- Small But Gorgeous Lobby
- Online Check In: Convenient But Not Helpful
- Location: Painful
- Deluxe Studio Villas: Spacious
- First Floor Patio: Cool–Even Efficient
- Deluxe Studio Villas Queen Bed: Not!
- Biggest Problem: All Function/No Form
- Magical Express: Going Away
- Disney MinnieVan: Unavailable
- Vehicle Parking: Distant
- Disney Buses: Not Efficient
- Disney Skyliner: Fun but Not Efficient
- Boats: Fun but Not Always Efficient
- Walking: Very Efficient
Food & Beverage
- Trattoria al Forno: Available Breakfast & Dinner
- Boardwalk Bakery: Available All Day
- Pizza Window: Available Noon Through Evening
- AbracadaBar: Available Late Afternoon/Evening
- Leaping Horse Libations: 11:00 Through Evening
- Flying Fish: Unavailable
- Big River Grille & Brewing Works: Unavailable
- ESPN Club: Unavailable
- Funnel Cake Cart: Unavailable
- Boardwalk Joe’s Marvelous Margaritas: Unavailable
- The To-Go Cart: Unavailable
- Belle Vue Lounge: Unavailable
- Ample Hills Creamery: Gone
- Pools: Open & Improved!
- Ferris W. Eahlers Recreation Hall: Open
- Fishing/Tennis/Jogging: Available
- Surrey Bikes: Unavailable
- Arcade: Available
- Muscles & Bustles Fitness Club: Available
Shopping & Entertainment
- Disney Character Carnival, Screen Door, Thimbles & Threads: Open
- Wyland Gallery: Unavailable
- Jelly Rolls: Unavailable
- Atlantic Dance Hall: Unavailable
- Nightime Streetmosphere/Entertainment: Unavailable
- Side Show Games: Unavailable
- Not Big But Beautiful
- Only One Entrance
- Outside Walkway
- Great Access to Parking
- Epcot: Walking Distance
- Disney’s Hollywood Studios: Walking Distance
- Disney’s Animal Kingdom: Not Bad/Not Great
- Magic Kingdom: Monorail Maybe
- Disney Springs: Not Bad/Not Great
- The arrival experience is not customer-friendly.
- The lobby is gorgeous but unnecessary.
- Rooms are fairly functional but not fun
- The Boardwalk offers 18 features that require going outside of the hotel.
- 14 of Those 18 features on the Boardwalk are not available
- The boardwalk still offers great recreation.
- The property is sandwiched well between two important Disney parks.
- The conference/convention facility is accessible to visitors, but not those staying on property.
A Patreon Site for Disney Fans: The Wayfinder Society
We are offering a new program where you have the opportunity to enjoy exclusive offerings from Disney at Play and Disney at Work. Join us as we introduce our new Patreon program, the Wayfinder Society, intended to give you new insights to all things Disney, whether its work or play. I am truly excited to share this new opportunity with you and look forward to creating new experiences that you will enjoy whether at home or at the Disney parks. To learn more, visit our site to discovery our offerings and various tiers. Join us!