Technology, Innovation & IT: What Disney Does Well
Story and technology go a long way back with Disney. Since the advent of sound and Mickey Mouse, Walt understood that technology could not only advance the story being told, but give the organization a competitive advantage in the marketplace. From multi-plane cameras to audio animatronics to streaming on Disney+, Disney has had any number of feats–and hundreds of patents! But what really sets Disney off is not High Tech, but High Touch, and we’re going to explore what that looks like. From Mobile Ordering to Hey Disney, to Turtle Talk with Crush, we’ll look at some innovative approaches Disney has taken, and why they succeed. Along the way, we have some messages–souvenirs you can take home–that will allow you to think how you use technology in your own role or organization.
Know that our next Disney at Work podcast will look at what I see are challenges with what Disney does not do well.
Disney, Technology & Storytelling
As an entertainment company, Disney has sought to share stories physically and virtually in new ways than ever before. This is the Disney evolution over the years:
- Classic linear storytelling
- Interactive storytelling
- Immersive storytelling
- Personalized storytelling
The digital, data, and physical coming together organically with the story, they now have physical and digital converged experiences that are personalized and social, creating the theme park metaverse.
Souvenirs for Your Organization
1. How could technology be used so that you can dedicate your people to interacting more meaningfully with your customers?
2. How could technology as an interface to your customers be more High Touch?
3. How could a High Tech/High Touch approach better address your customers’ real needs?
Join and Help Us Out!
We thank you for visiting and listening to us. We appreciate your patronage and your friendship. To help make these websites and podcasts possible, there are several easy ways you can help:
- In addition to the podcast channel you listen to, please visit DisneyatPlay.com and DisneyatWork.com and subscribe to our website. That way you get notices of new posts and podcasts coming out.
- If you like what we have to offer, please visit iTunes and offer us a favorable rating and even a review. This helps notify others of what we have to offer.
- If you like videos not just of Walt Disney World but of parks throughout the world, visit J. Jeff Kober on YouTube and subscribe there.
- Finally, join the Wayfinder Society. For as little as a dollar a month, this Patreon group not only helps to support this podcast and attending websites, but also gives you access to one of our Disney at Play Interactive Guides.
NOTE! with any Wayfinder membership, you will also get an in-depth look at the Metaverse at Disney and in other world-class organizations. Sign up today!
There are four tiers to our society, two of which are available to all who love Disney and are fans. The second two tiers not only celebrate all things Disney, but focus on best-in-business practices from the happiest and most magical places on earth that can be applied to your own organization. All of them offer unique offerings only available here at Disney at Work and Play. For instance, right now subscribers to the three top tiers can experience a deep dive into Pirates of the Caribbean unlike any other.
And now we’re happy to announce that first Explorer tier is only $1.00 a month. And with that you not only help to support us but will receive access to one of our Disney at Play Discoveries: Pandora World of Avatar: To see a sneak peek at all that’s offered on this truly unique interactive guide, please visit us at the Wayfinder Society. While there you can also get a sneak peek at our Disney at Work Interactive Tour of Disneyland, available to our Navigator and Adventurer levels. We promise you content and experiences you can’t get elsewhere. And your patronage goes to help support these podcasts and posts.
Ready to Visit the Disney Parks?
Hopefully this podcast has made you realize you need help and support in planning your next trip to Disney. David and Leah with Out the Door Travel know Disney in ways few do and they can make your next trip on land or sea an exciting one–or at least less stressful! Be sure to contact them as you explore your next vacation, whether it is a Disney theme park vacation, a cruise, or an Adventure by Disney. There is no charge to utilize their services, but it will save you enormous time getting all the details right, and with their insight you can be assured you’re going to experience the best trip possible. Contact them today!