Episode 24: Is Star Wars Galaxy's Edge Worth the Price?
Welcome to the sixth in a series of episodes that looks at the upcoming Star Wars Galaxy’s Edge. We’ve had a chance to look at takeaways that can be applied to any organization. In this podcast we are going to look at the 6th P, which is Price. You can find the podcast here on Podbean and here at iTunes.
The Tangible Price
When it comes to price, there are two aspects that must be considered. The first is the tangible cost. This is the out-of-pocket cost to experiencing Galaxy’s Edge. Consider the following:
- Airfare: $420.00
- One Night Stay at Paradise Pier Hotel: $485.00
- One Day Ticket: $149.00
- Estimate for Blue Milk: $8.00
- Estimate for Meal Entree at Docking Bay 7: $15.00
- Estimate for Light Sabre: $200.00
- Estimate for Make Your Own Droid: $100
Total estimate for a guaranteed Star Wars Galaxy’s Edge experience: $1,377.00. Multiply it twice for a couple and we have an event that is over $2,755. Clearly, that’s a fairly big price to pay to experience this new attraction on its opening days.
The Intangible Price
Beyond the tangible price, is the intangible price that people will pay. Here are some examples of that for us:
- The hassle making travel arrangements and of flying there.
- Waiting in any lines the day of the event.
- Confusion with the hotel reservation and the day they we had a reservation to visit Galaxy’s Edge at Disneyland.
- Sorting through the confusion of whether a reservation is needed for making your own saber or droid.
- The price my adult children pay to spend time taking care of my younger children.
- Minor Missed Opportunities–Could we have spent our time better enjoying other attractions at the Disneyland Resort?
- Major Missed Opportunities–Could we have taken the money and just gone on a Disney Cruise instead?
The 6 P Formula
Let’s return to the mathematical part of this formula:
There are two ways to state this formula:
- Did the People, Place, Process & Product exceed my expectations of what was promised?
- Was the People, Place, Process & Product worth more than the price I paid? In other words, did I find value?
Souvenirs for Your Organization:
There are a couple of key takeaways for your business:
- What is the tangible price your customers pay?
- What intangible price do your customers pay that isn’t easily evidenced?
- How are you no better than your worst delivery system?
- Conversely, how can you further add value so that your products and services are worth the tangible and intangible price customers pay?
A Complete Guide & a New Website
In the weeks and months to come, we will share more via podcast and blog about this big new addition coming to Disneyland and to Disney’s Hollywood Studios. In the mean time, there’s much to see in our complete guide to Star Wars Galaxy’s Edge. You definitely want to check this out!
Check out our new sister website, Magic at Play. It’s Disney worldwide insights, vacation planning, and so much more. Now you know where to go to get the best of Disney whether through work or play.