Welcoming All Who Come to This Happy Place
Welcome to this Disney at Work podcast. Walt’s opening words when he dedicated Disneyland was: “To all who come to this happy place…Welcome!”
Welcoming guests is a hallmark of the total Disney experience. One of the four Disney keys is Courtesy. A critical customer service behavior expected of all Disney Cast Members is that they greet, welcome, and thank all guests. I saw much of that when guests first pored into Disneyland last week as the gates finally reopened after a long hiatus. I myself felt very welcomed when I first came down Main Street U.S.A. as I entered the Magic Kingdom on Day 1 when it reopened last July. But how do you make it happen every day and in every Guest interaction? That’s what we’ll address in this Disney at Work podcast. We’ll talk about the concept of “assertive” friendliness. We’ll showcase different approaches for making people welcomed, and we’ll offer you complimentary souvenirs that you can apply back in your own organization.
Welcome to this podcast on welcoming others!
This theme of welcoming others, and of Walt’s opening dedicatory words have now become a part of Disney’s newest key, Inclusion. In the weeks ahead, we will address this theme which is tied to diversity and equity. Please subscribe to both our podcasts and our Disney at Work page so you can join us as we explore what we mean by truly welcoming others.
Souvenirs for You and Your Organization
Ask yourself the following questions:
- What expectations do I have about welcoming customers?
- When I greet someone, is it sincere and individualized?
- What approaches work for me when greeting others?
- What are the ways I could improve my ability to welcome others?
- Is greeting an internal customer as important as welcoming an external one?
More Disney Best in Business Practices
If you like the ideas I’ve shared today, you may want to consider the first Disney book I authored, The Wonderful World of Customer Service at Disney. It’s dedicated to those who would love to make their work environment as polished and customer friendly as a day at Disney. The Wonderful World of Customer Service at Disney is a celebration of great business practices that can be applied to any service organization. Whether you are in the public, private, or non-profit sector, you will find solutions that can help you take your organization to the next level.
The Wayfinder Society: A Patreon Site for Disney Fans
We are offering a new program where you have the opportunity to enjoy exclusive offerings from Disney at Play and Disney at Work. Join us as we introduce our new Patreon program, the Wayfinder Society, intended to give you new insights to all things Disney, whether its work or play. I am truly excited to share this new opportunity with you and look forward to creating new experiences that you will enjoy whether at home or at the Disney parks. There are a variety of options for joining, depending on your interests:
When you join, you will be given access to unique, interactive apps that explores the parks in new ways, offering stories, photos, videos and more.
Here are some of the interactive apps we share with members of our society:
- Pandora: World of Avatar: This is an expansive and detailed look at every aspect of this land. You can’t find any source that has covered this entire land with its attractions, retail and dining more in depth.
- Pirates of the Caribbean Across the Globe: We not only compare this attraction in parks world-wide, but we deep dive into what makes each unique. Currently we’ve covered Tokyo Disneyland and Magic Kingdom. More to come!
- Coming Soon! S.E.A. Assembled! The Society of Adventurers and Explorers are coming to the Wayfinder Society. We’ll document their whereabouts and showcase their imprint on Disney attractions world-wide.
- Disney at Work Interactive Tour: Disneyland. For our upper tiers, we have an interactive business tour of Disneyland to include more than fifty attractions spread throughout the park. These are best-in-business ideas you can apply to your own organization.
- Coming Soon! Disney at Work Interactive Tour: Walt Disney World 50th Anniversary. Looking at the heritage of Most Magical Place in the World, we draw best practices from over the years that you can again, apply to your organization.
As you see, we have so much to share. And when you donate, a portion of your contribution goes to Embrace Celebration, dedicated to helping Disney Cast Members and others in this area who are unemployed during this pandemic. To learn more, visit our site to discover our offerings and various tiers. Join us!